Protecta Steel Paint FR-1 is a single component acrylic paint, used for up to 60 minutes fire protection of loadbearing structural steel that usually requires no primer, no topcoat, is easy to use and very easy to clean up. The paint is formulated with fire and heat resistant chemicals, combined with high intumescent (expanding) pigments and fillers, which gives optimal resistance against fire.
The paint is formulated to provide the lowest emissions possible, protecting both people’s health and the environment against harmful chemicals. It is a hard-wearing interior acrylic paint, formulated to the highest specification and offering unsurpassed intensity of colour. All colours are water-based and provide a smooth, rich and non-reflective finish. It is perfect for a contemporary look and to hide surface imperfections.
For all our other fire and heat coatings, please click here.
We stock the full Protecta range on our website which you can shop here.
– Can be supplied either in a white base or in a colour of your choice mixed using our in-house colour tinting machine. Tinted paint has been fire tested and is part of the certified product. For available in-house colours, please refer to our Colour Chart.
– Non-toxic and emission free with near zero VOC and best possible emission classifications make the paint perfect for anyone not wanting to breathe toxic chemicals, especially people who have asthma, allergies, or other breathing-related diseases.
– Durable, robust and designed to last, can be cleaned with a damp cloth without the risk of washing off the paint. Durability is especially important on surfaces where abrasion occurs, for instance, steel in hallways and staircases.
– Excellent coverage with a spray applied system is cost-effective, saving paint and especially application time. Brush and roller applications can also be performed. No topcoat needed.
– Halogen-free with added preservatives that resist bacterial and fungal growth, providing extra protection to health in addition to the non-harmful emissions, and it also protects the underlying substrates.
– The paint is not intended for application on bituminous substrates or substrates that can exude certain oils and plasticizers or solvents and is not recommended for use in constant humid areas without a topcoat.
– The paint’s durability is expected to be at least 12 years making it a cost-effective option when compared with normal paints with limited durability.
– Do not apply in very damp or humid conditions or extremes of temperature.
– Tested according to BS-EN 13381-8:2013
Preparation of the surface
Ensure that the steel surfaces to be coated are clean, dry and free from all contaminants. A suitable primer must be immediately applied to any bare steel to secure long term corrosion protection. Application should be in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical data sheet. Primed surfaces must be kept clean, dry and free from all contaminants. IMPORTANT: A transport primer is often not a satisfactory corrosion protection primer. It is recommended, as a minimum, to use a corrosion protection primer at 25µ DFT (microns dry film thickness). Steel Paint FR-1 cannot be applied directly upon galvanized steel or a primer rich with zinc.
Protecta Steel Paint FR-1 should be mixed well before application. However, it is important to use a low-speed mixing drill, to avoid air being mixed into the paint. In most cases, mixing for one minute is sufficient. IMPORTANT: If air is mixed into the paint, bubbles can occur in the finished surface, especially when the paint is applied as a thick coating.
Temperature and climate is important for the end result. Ensure the area and the steel is heated to minimum 10 °C and preferably approx. 20 °C, but it should be possible to paint at temperatures approaching 5 °C. The paint should be at minimum the same temperature as the ambient temperature in the area of which it is applied. If the pails, when stored, have become
cold, place them in a heated area over night before application proceeds. The relative air moisture should not exceed 80 % to secure a proper curing of the film. Within climates with high relative air moisture it is important to ensure that there is proper ventilation. The surface application temperature must be at least 3 °C above the dew point and always minimum 0 °C.
At lower temperatures down towards 10 °C, it is important to apply the paint in thin layers. Especially the first layer which should be less than 500µ WFT (microns wet film thickness). The second layer can often be applied thicker. In ideal conditions (stable temperature around 20 °C in air, on steel and in the paint combined with low air moisture), the paint can be spray applied at 1,500µ WFT and brush applied at 500µ WFT. Maximum thickness possible without sag is 1,800µ WFT. A roller can also be used.
Initially used SSL via eBay - service was excellent.Contacted them directly for my second purchase, staff were very... knowledgable and couldn't help enough.The items were sent out the same day and at the best price.5 star service all the way!read more
We have purchased our Mapei Grout and Mapei AC silicone from Sealant Supplies for the past 5 months, they have been... quick to dispatch and always seem to have the colours we require in stock. Will keep using them.read more