Kerapoxy is a two-component, epoxy-resin based product with silica sand and special components, with excellent resistance to acids and excellent cleanability. This is a product with very low emission of volatile organic compounds and is classified Emicode EC1 R Plus by GEV when used for grouting.
The following features are obtained when used correctly:
– Excellent mechanical and chemical resistance, therefore excellent durability.
– A smooth final surface with low water absorption, therefore easy to clean; ensures hygiene.
– Easy workability and finishing.
– Becomes very hard and is highly resistant to heavy traffic.
– No shrinkage, therefore absence of cracks and fissures.
– Uniform colours that are resistant to ultra-violet rays and atmospheric agents.
– Excellent bonding.
For more information about Mapei and their products, please visit their website here.
For our full Mapei range, click here. For more in the Mapei Kera range, click here.
Kerapoxy 2kg is currently a non-stock item & extended lead times are advised at anywhere up to 4-6 weeks.
– Grouting floors and walls in the food industry (dairies, abattoirs, breweries, wine-cellars, conserved-food plants, etc.), shops and areas where hygiene is required (ice-cream shops, butchers, fish vendors, etc.).
– Grouting industrial floors and walls (electrical industries, tanneries, battery rooms, paper-mills, etc.), where high mechanical resistance and resistance to acid attack is required.
– Grouting swimming pools; particularly suitable for basins containing salt or thermal water.
– Grouting tanks containing aggressive chemicals (purification plants, etc.).
– Grouting ceramic tiles on laboratory benches, kitchen work surfaces, etc.
– Acid-resistant bonding of tiles (used as an adhesive in compliance with class R2T specification according to EN 12004 standard).
– Bonding marble doorsteps and windowsills.
– Bonding tiles in plastic reinforced by fibreglass swimming pools.
– Bonding special pieces of tiles.
Preparing the joints
The joints must be dry, clean, free of dust and emptied at least 2/3 of the tile thickness. The excess adhesive or mortar should be removed while still fresh. Before grouting, make sure that the installation mortar or the adhesive has set and released most of its moisture. Kerapoxy is not affected by the moisture on the surface; the joints should not be wet during work.
Preparing the mix
Pour all the hardener (component B) into a bucket containing component A and mix well until a smooth paste is obtained. For perfect mixing and avoiding overheating of the mixture, which could reduce working time, a low speed electric stirrer should be used. Use the paste within 45 minutes from mixing.
Applying the grout
Spread Kerapoxy with the appropriate MAPEI float, making sure the joints are completely filled. Use the same float, but on edge, to remove excess grout.
After grouting with Kerapoxy, floors and walls should be cleaned immediately before the product dries.
Wet the surface thoroughly and emulsify with an abrasive pad for cleaning joints (such as Scotch-Brite® or MAPEI tile-joint cleaning kit), making sure not to wash out the joints. When cleaning walls, the cleaning pad should be fully soaked with water. The excess liquid can be removed with a hard cellulose sponge (e.g. MAPEI sponge) and should be replaced when too full of resin. Use the same type of sponge for the final tooling of the grout. It is very important that once the finishing process has ended, no traces of Kerapoxy are left on the tile surface because it will be very difficult to remove. It is, therefore, necessary to frequently rinse the sponge with clean water during the cleaning process.
When finishing large floor surface areas, use a rotary, disc-type power float with Scotch-Brite® abrasive pads, well saturated with water. All excess liquid can be removed with a rubber squeegee. The final cleaning cycle may be carried out using Kerapoxy Cleaner (special cleaning solution for epoxy grout). Kerapoxy Cleaner may also be used to remove thin residues of grout several hours after application. In such cases, the product must be left to react for longer (15-20 mins.).
The efficiency of Kerapoxy Cleaner depends on the amount of resin residues and how much time has passed since application. Cleaning must always be carried out while “fresh”, as described above.
– Because of the tessara’s reduced thickness, Kerapoxy can also be used for grouting glass mosaics with joints less than 3 mm.
– When grouting ceramic tiled floors and walls subject to oleic acid attack (e.g. ham and sausage industries, oil-mills, etc.) and aromatic hydrocarbon, Kerapoxy IEG can be used (available in 113 or 130 reference colour of MAPEI range).
– For flexible expansion joints or joints subject to movement, use an elastic sealant from the MAPEI line (e.g. Mapesil AC, Mapesil LM, Mapeflex PU45 FT or Mapeflex PU21).
– Kerapoxy does not ensure perfect adhesion when used for grouting tiles with wet edges or contaminated with cement, dust, oil, grease, etc.
– Unglazed klinker tiles should be grouted with the same colour tone Kerapoxy. All other colours should be used only with glazed tiles.
– Do not use Kerapoxy for grouting terracotta tiles because they are difficult to clean.
– Make preliminary sample tests before grouting porcelain tiles with a contrasting colour of Kerapoxy (e.g. black on white).
– Always carry out preliminary tests before grouting stone or ground porcelain with a porous or rough surface.
– Do not add water or any solvents to Kerapoxy to make it more fluid.
– Use the product in temperatures between +12°C and +30°C.
– The quantities are already in the correct proportions; therefore, mistakes should not be made. Do not guess the quantities when mixing the two components. A wrong catalysis ratio could impair the hardening process. – When removing already cured Kerapoxy from the joints, use a hot air industrial drier. Remove hardened Kerapoxy from the tiles with Pulicol 2000.
– When grouting large floor surface areas, it is recommended to use Kerapoxy P, available in grey 113 of MAPEI range (other colours are available upon request for quantities higher than 300 kg) because it is very fluid and easy to apply.
Initially used SSL via eBay - service was excellent.Contacted them directly for my second purchase, staff were very... knowledgable and couldn't help enough.The items were sent out the same day and at the best price.5 star service all the way!read more
We have purchased our Mapei Grout and Mapei AC silicone from Sealant Supplies for the past 5 months, they have been... quick to dispatch and always seem to have the colours we require in stock. Will keep using them.read more