Protecta FR Coating spray grade is an ablative sealant coating designed to enhance, seal, and fire protect mineral fibres. It is based on a durable polymer system with inert fillers, non-halogenated fire retardants and a preservative to resist microbial attack.
Protecta FR Coating is designed to be applied via spraying directly onto mineral fibres. The coating dries to give a sound, flexible white surface finish. During the installation of mineral fibres, the cured sealant coating reduces de-lamination and increases surface stability for adhesive and fixing sealant application. The ablative property of the coating resists flame spread and protects the mineral fibres against fire penetration by significantly reducing the permeability of the mineral fibre core and prevents the passage of hot gases, thus reducing the temperature rise on the unexposed side and reducing heat conduction through the building services.
Mineral fibres coated with Protecta FR Coating are designed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through openings in fire rated walls and floors, where openings are formed to allow the installation of multiple building services. The system will also maintain the acoustic design performance.
For all our other fire and heat resistant sealants, click here.
We stock the full Protecta range on our website which you can shop here.
– The coating applied on mineral fibres is classified for all types of constructions with or without building service penetrations
– Simple and very quick to install
– Resists UV, humidity and frost (once cured)
– Permanently flexible – will accommodate high movements in the construction it has been fitted within
– Easy to retrofit additional building services after installation
– Suitable for most surfaces, including concrete, bricks, masonry, steel, wood, gypsum, glass, plastics and most non-porous surfaces
– May be used in unlimited lengths in walls with heights up to 1,200mm and in floors with widths up to 800mm
– May be installed in insulated or un-insulated drywalls with or without framing around the opening
– Halogen free with added fungicides
– Precautions are required to be taken to prevent a person from stepping onto a blank horizontal penetration seal
– The coating is not intended for application on bituminous substrates or substrates that can extrude certain oils and plasticizers, or solvents
– The coating is not recommended for use in submerged joints or areas exposed to high abrasion
– The coating should not come into contact with food or medical applications
1. Before installing the mineral fibre stone-wool core, please ensure that the surface of all surrounding constructions is free from all loose contaminants, dust and grease. The stone-wool should be dry and sound, and any large loose pieces should be brushed off before spraying.
2. Protecta FR Coating is water based, so in cases where corrosion protection is a problem, some metals may require a barrier between the seal and the surface prior to this installation.
3. Select the type of stone-wool core and friction fit into the seal according to the fire resistance table on page 1. Any gaps or imperfections in the stone-wool must be filled with Protecta FR
Acrylic. For penetration seals, please refer to the Installation Instructions for Protecta FR Board.
4. Spray apply Protecta FR Coating to the stone-wool according to the fire resistance table on page 1. Spraying pressures will depend on the type of pump and nozzle used approximately 1700 to 2300 psi using a 25 to 35 thou’ tip. Apply the coating in smooth strokes and with the minimum of overspray to achieve an even film thickness and consistent drying across the stone-wool.
5. Calculate minimum 1 litre of Protecta FR Coating per m2. The required wet film thickness is usually achieved when the surface is to a satisfactory proper white finish when dry.
6. Overspray can increase drying times. Drying times will be dependent on film thickness, ambient temperature and humidity and may be reduced by using drying ovens and/or fans.
7. Protecta FR Coating can be over-painted with most emulsion or alkyd (gloss) paints.
Initially used SSL via eBay - service was excellent.Contacted them directly for my second purchase, staff were very... knowledgable and couldn't help enough.The items were sent out the same day and at the best price.5 star service all the way!read more
We have purchased our Mapei Grout and Mapei AC silicone from Sealant Supplies for the past 5 months, they have been... quick to dispatch and always seem to have the colours we require in stock. Will keep using them.read more