Protecta Service Coat FR-1 is an acrylic based intumescent coating designed to increase the fire resistance of fire seals and protect cables, cable trays and metal pipes.
The coating protects the cables outer plastic or rubber sheath, thereby protecting the conductors to secure continued electrical supply in a fire situation. The product also protects and lowers temperatures in metal services passing through a fire seal, increasing the overall fire resistance. The coating is non-toxic, emission free, durable and can be applied in a thin coat, saving both time and money.
It is a hardwearing coat, formulated to the highest specification and offering unsurpassed intensity of colour. The coating can be tinted; all colours are water-based and provide a smooth, rich and non-reflective finish. Protecta Service Coat FR-1 normally requires no primer and no topcoat. The product also has the added benefit of being easy to use and very easy to clean up.
For all our other fire and heat resistant sealants, click here.
– A high performance, fire resistant coating designed to be applied as a thin film on services protecting cables, cable trays and metal pipes in a fire.
It is available either in a white base or in a range of colours, easily and quickly mixed via our in-house colour-tinting machine.
– Once a protective topcoat has been applied, Protecta® Service Coat FR-1 can be used in exterior applications.
– Non-toxic and emission free, with near zero volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and best possible emission classifications available, makes the coating perfect for anyone wishing to avoid breathing in toxic chemicals. Especially beneficial for people suffering from asthma, allergies or any other breathing related diseases.
– Durable, robust and designed to last; can be cleaned with a damp cloth without the risk of washing off the coating.
– Achieve excellent coverage with a spray applied thin coat system (the most cost effective option), saving paint and application time. Brush and roller applications can also be performed, often in only a few coats. Topcoat is normally not necessary.
– Suitable for most surfaces, including rubber, plastics, concrete, bricks, masonry, primed steel, wood, gypsum and most non-porous surfaces, in most cases without a primer.
– Halogen free with added preservatives that resist bacterial and fungal growth, providing extra protection to health in addition to the non-harmful emissions. The product also protects the underlying substrates.
The coating’s durability is expected to be at least 12 years, making it a cost-effective option compared to normal paints with limited durability.
– The coating is not intended for application on bituminous substrates or substrates that can exude certain oils and plasticizers, or solvents. This product is not recommended for use in constant humid areas without a topcoat.
– Please do not apply in very damp or humid conditions or extreme temperatures.
Before coating ensure the surface to be painted is clean, dry and free from grease, dirt, dust, and other contaminants. Remove any old or flaking paint until you have a sound surface; if in doubt remove all existing coatings.
The coating can be applied by brush or roller to the required loading. If desired the coating can be diluted by up to 10% (by volume), but 5% is typical. If diluted the WFT loading should be increased by the amount the coating was diluted. For example, if the fire protection loading was 1,300µ and the coating was diluted by 5%, the loading that now needs to be applied is ~1,370µ. Alternatively, to ensure the correct loading has been applied simply apply all of the FR-1 coating specified to coat a given area regardless of how much it was diluted. Remove excess coating from the brush or roller on the rim of the paint pot and then wash brush/roller with water.
The coating can be applied using spray equipment, for example, the Graco X-Force Spray Gun with a tip size 17-21thou. The coating can also be diluted for spraying but the fire protection loading would need to be adjusted as described above.
Initially used SSL via eBay - service was excellent.Contacted them directly for my second purchase, staff were very... knowledgable and couldn't help enough.The items were sent out the same day and at the best price.5 star service all the way!read more
We have purchased our Mapei Grout and Mapei AC silicone from Sealant Supplies for the past 5 months, they have been... quick to dispatch and always seem to have the colours we require in stock. Will keep using them.read more