Kerapoxy Design is a two-component, decorative, epoxy resin-based grout, with silica sand and other special components, with excellent chemical resistance and easy cleaning properties. This is a product with very low emission of volatile organic compounds and is classified Emicode EC1 R Plus by GEV when used for grouting. Kerapoxy Design may be mixed with up to 10% by weight of MapeGlitter, metalised coloured glitter, to create particular special effects. The percentage depends on the aesthetical effect and workability desired. MapeGlitter is available in silver and light gold and another 22 colours on request.
When applied correctly, Kerapoxy Design forms tile joints with the following characteristics:
• translucent effect improves the chromatic effect of finishes with particularly decorative characteristics;
• semitransparent finish, very similar to glass mosaic, guarantees better luminosity, lustre and appearance of the mosaic;
• excellent mechanical strength and chemical resistance, therefore excellent durability;
• leaves a final smooth and compact surface, which is non-absorbent and easy to clean; guarantees a high level of hygiene and blocks the formation of mildew and mould;
• excellent workability, highly improved compared with traditional epoxy mortars thanks to its creamy consistency, which guarantees a faster application, less waste and makes it easier to clean the surface of the mosaic, and to obtain a good finish;
• no shrinkage and, therefore, no cracking;
• uniform colours resistant to ultra-violet light and atmospheric agents;
• excellent bonding properties.
For more information about Mapei, please visit their website here.
For our range of Mapei products, please click here. For more in the Kerapoxy range, please click here.
Kerapoxy Design is currently a non-stock item & extended lead times are advised at anywhere up to 4-6 weeks.
Decorative grouting of internal and external tiled floors and walls, in particular for glass mosaic. Also suitable for an acid resistant bond to all substrates normally used in the building industry. Kerapoxy Design allows you to create floors, walls, worktops etc., in compliance with the HACCP system and the requirements of EC Regulation No. 852/2004 regarding hygiene and foodstuffs.
Some application examples
• Installing and grouting decorative finishes in environments with a high aesthetic value (e.g. showrooms, commercial environments, etc.).
• Suitable for application on substrates where a semitransparent finish is required, it also allows the light to filter through (e.g. glass substrates).
• Installing and grouting floors and walls in showers and bathrooms. Suitable on fibreglass and PVC substrates.
• Installing and grouting floors and walls in thermal facilities, saunas, Turkish baths, etc.).
• Installing and grouting in swimming pools, especially recommended for pools containing spa or seawater.
• Repairing existing degraded grout by removing all loose areas and to a minimum uniform depth of 3 mm. [Ceramica] 149-kerapoxy design-GB (6) (05.01.2018 – Corr. PDF Sito)
Spread Kerapoxy Design with a special MAPEI grout float, ensuring that the joints are filled right down to the bottom. Remove excess material bypassing the edge of the same trowel diagonally over the tile joints.
Tiled finishes must be cleaned after grouting while Kerapoxy Design is still “fresh”. Wet the grouted surface and emulsify with an abrasive pad for cleaning joints (such as Scotch-Brite® or MAPEI tile-joint cleaning kit). Take care not to drag grout from the joint. Tiles/mosaics may also be cleaned with the same pad, but they must be more saturated with water. Any liquid which remains on the surface may be removed with a hard, cellulose sponge (such as a MAPEI sponge). Replace the sponge when it is coated with too much resin and also when finishing off the grouted joints. After the finishing operation, it is very important that no traces of Kerapoxy Design remain on the surface of the tiles. Once hardened, it is very difficult to remove. Therefore, rinse the sponge often with clean water during cleaning. With very large floor surfaces, finishing may be carried out by wetting the surface and using a single-head rotary machine with special abrasive felt disks such as Scotch-Brite®. The residual liquid may be drawn off using a rubber rake.
Kerapoxy Cleaner (special cleaning solution for epoxy grout) may also be used for the final cleaning cycle. It may also be used to remove thin residues of grout up to several hours after application. In this case, the product must be left to react for longer (at least 15-20 minutes). The efficiency of Kerapoxy Cleaner depends on the amount of residual resin and the amount of time gone by after application. Cleaning must be carried out while still “fresh” as described above.
• Use Kerapoxy IEG to grout ceramic floors subject to attack by oleic acids (ham curers, sausage factories, oil mills, etc.) and aromatic hydrocarbons.
• Use a flexible sealant from the MAPEI range (Mapesil AC, Mapesil LM, Mapeflex PU40, Mapeflex PU45 FT or Mapeflex PU50 SL) for flexible expansion joints or joints subject to movement.
• Kerapoxy Design does not guarantee a perfect bond when used as a grout if the edges of tiles are wet or contaminated with cement, dust, oil, grease, etc.
• Kerapoxy Design leaves a semitransparent, translucent finish, and the final colour may vary depending on the type and colour of mosaics on which it is applied and the adhesive colour used for bonding. This variation must be considered if the grout is used for different types of tiles in the same room.
• If porcelain tiles are grouted with a contrasting colour of Kerapoxy Design (for example, black on white), carry out preliminary tests beforehand.
• Always carry out preliminary tests before grouting stone or ground porcelain with a porous or rough surface.
• Do not add water or solvents to Kerapoxy Design to increase its workability.
• Do not use Kerapoxy Design to grout joints that are wider than 7 mm. • Use the product at temperatures between +12°C and +30°C.
• The packages are pre-dosed, and, therefore, it is not possible to make mixing errors. Do not estimate the quantities when mixing: hardening will be compromised if the catalysing ratio is wrong.
• If hardened Kerapoxy Design has to be removed from the joints, use an industrial hot air blower. If hardened localised residues of the product remain attached to the tiles, use Pulicol 2000 for cleaning.
• Kerapoxy Design mixed with MapeGlitter is not suitable for swimming pools or external use.
Initially used SSL via eBay - service was excellent.Contacted them directly for my second purchase, staff were very... knowledgable and couldn't help enough.The items were sent out the same day and at the best price.5 star service all the way!read more
We have purchased our Mapei Grout and Mapei AC silicone from Sealant Supplies for the past 5 months, they have been... quick to dispatch and always seem to have the colours we require in stock. Will keep using them.read more